Hi

I know to recognize speech from the user holding the phone you can use
Recognizer Intent. Cool.

Has anyone tried (or is it possible) to use Recognizer Intent to
detect when someone on the phone is talking?

I imagine this would have to be tied somehow to:

 VOICE_UPLINK_INPUT = 1
 or
 VOICE_DOWNLINK_INPUT = 2

If not with RecognizerIntent is there any creative ideas on how it
might be done in real time like RecognizerIntent works?

Not by recording it to to a file with media recorder but in real
time.

I don't need anything fancy here. I do not need to recognize words and
all that.
All I need to do is to detect when the person on the phone is talking
vs not talking.

I am thinking there has to be a way. It's just a different audio
source. Right?

Thank you for any help
-Chris