I wrote a wall of text on engines and stuff, but the new shiny
transparent awesome Opera crashed before I hit "Send" :/ so this one
is short.

I tried Cocos2D port 2 or 3 months ago when it was WIP and not fit for
anything serious. It was a while back and things could've changed,
IMHO the project has a lot of potential and I suggest you check it
out. I went with Rokon 1.1 and it turned out to be quite good. I think
I've rewritten half of the original code, and added as much of my own,
but it still saved me a lot of time, so I recommend you take a look at
it as well. You will still need to get under the hood a lot because it
has some problems, and you'll need to know a thing or two about
OpenGL, and how to deal with Android-specific issues like said touch
event flooding and GC, and avoid certain design concepts. But it's a
good place to start. If you don't want OGL you can pick a canvas-based
engine (I've seen at least one), but start with a benchmark to see if
it can handle the amount of drawing you need, because usually it's
very hard to get good framerate, unless you plan to develop
exclusively for droids and nexuses.