My impression, not well investigated, is that your service is NOT
likely to be killed while it is actually running on the main thread
doing processing. I'm guessing you're doing this on a separate thread?
Your process may be killed, but is less likely to be killed, if you
start the service, and make it sticky. Perhaps that's the compromise
you seek?

Finally -- does it work to set down the thread priority? Does Android
even do anything with thread priority?