I had various issues with progress bars -- sliders in my case -- and
even replaced ListView with my own implementation. But I have a guess
what my problem was, and of my own making.

Just for illustration purposes, here's my code replacing ListView:
        ViewGroup sliders = (ViewGroup)dlg.findViewById(R.id.sliders);
        int ocount = sliders.getChildCount();
        View[] children = new View[ocount];
        for (int i = ocount-1; i >= 0; --i) {
            children[i] = sliders.getChildAt(i);
            sliders.removeViewAt(i);
        }
        for (int i = 0; i < count; i++) {
            View child = (i < ocount) ?  children[i] : null;
            View nView = m_adapter.getView(i, child, sliders);
            sliders.addView(nView, i);
        }

Not so complicated. But you'll see that getView is responsible for
everything about what finally gets displayed. It is given a candidate
view for reuse, but:

1) It is up to getView() to determine whether it SHOULD reuse that
view
2) If it doesn't, it should supply a brand new view
3) If it does -- it must completely update and reinitialize that new
view.

Note that getView() doesn't get very much information. Really, all it
gets is i. But getItem(i) should return the specific item that's being
displayed.

So -- either your getView() is not updating or replacing the view
properly, or getItem(i) is not returning the right item to getView()
(which should be calling it), and so getView() is making the wrong
decisions.

I hope that helps.