Writing unit tests first to define exactly how a program will work is
nice if you have the luxury of knowing exactly how the program will
work ahead of time!

I often have a general structure for a program (game) but I don't have
all the little details figured out because things don't always go as
planned. What if I write all my tests for a quadtree data structure
and put in weeks of development only to find out that the quadtree is
not fast enough or eats too much memory?

Instead, I take the approach of working on the features that commit me
the least to a certain way of doing things. And I only write parts of
an application when I need them, not before. This eliminates much of
the waste that happens when you do an about face in terms of the way
your app works.

Front loaded unit testing violates my rule, so I don't do it.