Setting the audio stream to be STREAM_RING makes no sense. Why would
you want to use the volume control for the ringer for your media,
rather than the one for the media??? That's just going to confuse your
users big-time.

Instead, you may want to do
setVolumeControlStream(AudioManager.STREAM_MUSIC), so the volume
controls will affect the proper stream. E.g.:

mp.setAudioStreamType(AudioManager.STREAM_MUSIC);
setVolumeControlStream(AudioManager.STREAM_MUSIC);

setVolumeControlStream(int) is a method on Activity, so depending on
context, you may need to write
<yourActivityClassName>.this.setVolumeControlStream(AudioManager.STREAM_MUSIC)
instead.