Thanks again Kostya,

I have downloaded your app and had a look, its very nice, the widget will
come in very handy for my testing!

I was aware of the "known" versus as is quotes.

My problem is for my app to work I need it to scan for AP's when the device
is on the move.

So it should scan, find a new AP that has the highest RSSI in the area and
connect to that.

The problem is I can only connect to a "known" or already configured AP and
not one resulting from a scan.

So would I be correct in saying that I need to do the following?

Scan
Get the highest RSSI
Compare the SSID of this AP to the Wifi Config list
If its in the Wifi config list then connect
If its not then add a new access point (As a configured AP)
Get the id of the newly added AP and connect