I got several reports from users that my application had lost the
preferences. This is more than a year ago when the G1 was most
prevalent... I switched to saving preferences in a file instead, and
complaints stopped. Check the following threads for similar reports:

http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/afdecee0355fb700/6b17e6db3a895935?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=lose+preferences#6b17e6db3a895935
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/9803a767fce77703/ffb50141d419808c?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=lose+preferences#ffb50141d419808c
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/16ecfa2dff93cd86/cb500d1efdb079e3?hl=en&q=lose+preferences&lnk=ol&;
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/afdecee0355fb700/b8e7d93fdc15d637?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=preferences+field+users#b8e7d93fdc15d637

Haven't seen any explanation though whether this is a legitimate bug
in Android or wrong coding on the developers behalf. At any rate, I
couldn't get preferences to work, whereas storing the data in files
works perfect. If you have problems using preferences, I can only
recommend to go for files instead.