Abhi,

I'm not to sure about video playback outside of the VideoView, I
expect you have some substitute view to replace VideoView, as
MediaPlayer is just an interface to the back-end A/V component and
does no UI handling.

Looking at the MediaController, it accepts any view that implements
MediaPlayerControl:
http://developer.android.com/intl/fr/reference/android/widget/MediaController.MediaPlayerControl.html

The only build-in view that does this in the Android SDK is the
VideoView - but you should be able to make your substitute view
implement MediaPlayerControl and use it in exactly the same way. You
will just need to handle the callback methods that are defined in
MediaPlayerControl.

e.g.

public class MyVideoCanvas
    extends SurfaceView
    implements MediaPlayerControl {

    private MediaController ctlr;
    private MediaPlayer mediaPlayer;

    public void onCreate() {
        mediaPlayer = new MediaPlayer();

        ctlr = new MediaController(this);
        ctlr.setMediaPlayer(this);
        ctlr.setAnchorView(this);
        ctlr.setEnabled(true);
        ctlr.show();
    }

    public void pause() {
        // This is an example of a callback method from MediaPlayerControl...
        mediaPlayer.pause();
    }

    // ...
}

I haven't tested this, but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Sean