Android currently does not support USB host, so you won't be able to
plug any usb client devices into the usb port and have them work.

This ticket is for the usb host enhancement.
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=738

You might do better with a bluetooth adapter if there are such things
for IR.  I haven't looked, so I do not know.