On Monday, April 23, 2012 3:06:32 PM UTC-4, atta wrote:

> By the way, I have assumed that (dalvik) byte code manipulation is the
> best available way to try to tackle this problem. I have assumed that it
> won't be possible to do anything at the OS level. Now, I am not an expert
> on Linux/Anroid OS by any stretch of imagination. Is my assumption correct
> that I can't have a 'layer' added to my APK that would 'filter' all the
> network IO -- much like a servlet filter that would intercept each request
> and response to/from a given resource.

Not in the off-the-shelf case.  At this point it may be more useful to ask
what your target use/deployment case is, as that has bearing on:

- Can you modify the suspect .apk's before they are installed?

- Can you modify the userspace portions of the Android installation on the
device?

- Can you modify the Linux kernel on the device?

This is where a lot of interesting Android project possibilities bog down -
you can do it for your own personal device, but you may not really have
market or user community for wider deployment unless you integrate it
within the custom rom community.  There's the potential of doing things for
research/testing on one device to apply the results more widely, but it's
not safe to say that malware would make the same attempts on all builds or
in all circumstances.