I think that Eric's point is that it works specifically for that
case.
The macro is correct in general, but in that specific case (32-bits,
premult blending), a different global equation (with +1) would work
better.
It wouldn't cause artifacts, would be slightly faster and would have
the nice property to never make a destination pixel less opaque.

mathias