My application needs to extract a 10 second portion of a audio file in
PCM format and store it.

On other platforms I have been doing this in Java using Jlayer
decoder, but once I ported that to Android, it ran extremely slowly.
It takes almost 50 seconds to decode a 10 second sample !

Since the opencore libraries are already available, I would like to be
to use them as an alternative. I have been looking at it for a couple
of days now. I would like to understand what options are available to
me to be able to do this.

My first approach was to develop a JNI stub and try and make a call
out to the codec in the opencore shipped library, but it appears that
those interfaces are subject to change and there is no guaranty of
backward compatibility in a future release.

The other approach I can think of is to take the opencore source and
compile the codecs into a separate standalone jni library private to
my application, and that way I avoid the backward compatibility
issue.

Before I go too far down any path I would like to run this by the
experts and figure out what is the best approach.

One more question - I saw in the opencore code that the decoding
thread is run at a higher priority. Since my decoder would be running
at normal application priority am I going to see a significant
performance drop off ala Jlayer ?

-thanks,
Sandeep