I fixed that error by adding the extender.jar library
to PRODUCT_SYSTEM_SERVER_JARS in the product .mk file.

Now I'm trying to understand the build problem: services.jar references my
prebuilt static java library newservice, newservice uses prebuilt
extender.jar. If I do a full product build, newservice gets compiled into
services.jar, but extender.jar isn't installed into /system/frameworks and
thus isn't found in the final FW image. Adding LOCAL_REQUIRED_MODULES
doesn't seem to help.

I suspect the problem here is the the build doesn't think extender.jar is
part of the built product.

Android.mk:
$ LOCAL_PATH := $(call my-dir)

include $(CLEAR_VARS)
LOCAL_MODULE := newservice
LOCAL_MODULE_TAGS := eng optional
LOCAL_SRC_FILES := javalib.jar
LOCAL_REQUIRED_MODULES := extender
LOCAL_MODULE_CLASS := JAVA_LIBRARIES
LOCAL_MODULE_SUFFIX := $(COMMON_JAVA_PACKAGE_SUFFIX)
include $(BUILD_PREBUILT)

include $(CLEAR_VARS)
LOCAL_MODULE := extender
LOCAL_MODULE_TAGS := eng optional
LOCAL_SRC_FILES := extender.jar
LOCAL_MODULE_CLASS := JAVA_LIBRARIES
LOCAL_MODULE_SUFFIX := $(COMMON_JAVA_PACKAGE_SUFFIX)
include $(BUILD_PREBUILT)

Drunczyk