On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 1:53 PM, James Burns <jfbu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is not the same as data at rest encryption but rather relies on
> the Android (Linux) OS access control restrictions. "accessed /
> available only by the main user login information" implies that the
> user credentials are somehow being used to protect that data, which is
> why I asked. Your statement confirms that that is not true.

Correct. For encrypting data at rest, you have a few options:

1. Wait until Android has built-in full-disk encryption
2. Encrypt data in userland and write ciphertext to the
filesystem/into SQLite DB rows

A big trouble with (2) is, where do you get your key material from?
(Actually, that is also a problem for (1), but at least once solved it
helps every app on the system.) Another problem with (2) is, now you
can't search the ciphertext; you'll have to load all the data, decrypt
it in volatile memory, and search that. If the data is small enough,
that might actually be just fine. But if not...

>From a pragmatic security point of view, I think it's better to wait
for FDE, and in the mean-time just be honest with your users about the
risk.

--
"These days, though, you have to be pretty technical before you can
even aspire to crudeness." — William Gibson