Hi Ulf,
Yes, linux.inc seems doing the job as you told - this clears a lot. I had
been patching wrong file:${S}/defconfig instead of ${WORKDIR}/defconfig.
It seems that I'm not alone with this mistake. ${S}/defconfig seems to be
created by two patches:
0002-add-defconfig-file-to-use-as-.config.patch makes skeleton and
0073-defconfig-Update-bone-default-config.patch makes some modefications.

${WORKDIR}/defconfig (important one) is most likely coming from
...../linux/linux-mainline-3.8/beaglebone/defconfig as there is only one
difference that could have come from configuration process.

It seems that configuration fragments do not work in regular Angstrom - I
suppose they are just Yocto stuff.
Providing defconfig directly did not work - most likely it was written over
by the patching the seems creating the ${WORKDIR}/defconfig

Downside is that my beaglebone version of defconfig seems to get used
instead of mine even though my layer should have higher priority. I hope
this is the last thing I should cleared.

Thanks,
Matti

2013/10/22 Ulf Samuelsson <angstrom-...@emagii.com>

> On 2013-10-22 17:20, matti kaasinen wrote:
>
>> Thanks Ulf,
>> It seems to work in that way. However, I'm a bit surprised that it works
>> so
>> as as I mentioned above all the procedures -
>> patching defconfig in the kernel build directory, providing defconfig in
>> metadata and providing configuration fragments as described in the Yocto
>> Kernel development manual - give the same outcome in the defconfig at the
>> kernel build directory.
>>

> What is happening is dependent on the kernel recipe.
>
> Typically, you find that "linux.inc" does the job,
> and in "do_configure", which is run when you do:
>
> bitbake -c configure virtual/kernel
>
> ${WORKDIR}/defconfig is altered to ensure it makes sense.
> A lot of options are simply deleted.
> ${S}/.config" is created as an empty file and then the deleted options are
> added with a proper value.
> At the end, defconfig is appended to the "${S}/.config
>
> so when you run
>
> bitbake -c configure virtual/kernel
>
> both  ${WORKDIR}/defconfig and ${S}/.config  are changed.
>
> /Ulf
>

>  What command do you use when you are using .config directly? My experience
>> is that when I for instance run:
>> bitbake -f -c configure virtual/kernel
>> after
>> bitbake -f -c patch virtual/kernel
>> bitbake executes again do_patch, that at least rides over defconfig if I
>> edited that.
>>
>> In fact it seems that "bitbake -c config" runs always do_patch  even if
>> previous command was patch and no modifications were in between.
>>
>> BR,
>> Matti
>>

>> 2013/10/22 Ulf Samuelsson <angstrom-...@emagii.com>
>>
>>  The "defconfig" file is present in the meta-layers and copied to the
>>> kernel build directory.
>>> It is used to create the ".config" file in the kernel source directory.
>>>
>>> If you modify the ".config" file, you will see changes in the kernel
>>> file.
>>> if you modify the defconfig file in the build directory, nothing happens.
>>>
>>> I typically change the ".config" and copy the result to the "defconfig"
>>> in
>>> the