                         OPENOFFICE.ORG NEWSLETTER

                    Volume 03  -  Issue 6  -  12/2005

                    Please send news clippings to:
                    newsletter@marketing.openoffice.org

The OpenOffice.org Project and Community wishes everyone a Happy New Year
and all the best for 2006!

For up-to-date news visit the OpenOffice.org Newsletter Blog:
http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com

To read all of this month's stories in full:
http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005_12_01_ooonewsletter_archive.html

ATOM feed:
http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/atom.xml

Contents

1. Announcements
----------------
* OpenOffice.org 2.0.1
* OpenOffice.org Support in Gmail
* First ECDL certification in Romania using OpenOffice.org
* Thank you very much to Deepankar Datta!

2. Success Stories
------------------
* Accountancy firm dumps Microsoft for OpenOffice
* German City of Mannheim moving to OpenOffice.org
* Macedonia deploys 5000 GNOME Desktops in Public Schools

3. Featured news
----------------
* News from the Hungarian community
* [Interview] With Robin Miller on "Point and Click: OpenOffice.org"
* [Opinion] "OpenDocument Tipping Point"
* [Opinion] "A file format that's worth keeping - forever"
* Open Source Law in Venezuela

4. Tips & Tricks
----------------
* "OpenOffice 2.0 Base: Getting the right views"

5. OpenDocument News roundup
6. Clippings
7. Statistics

All news for this month can be found at:
http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005_12_01_ooonewsletter_archive.html

Want to help OpenOffice.org?  Find out hot to contribute or see our
To Do List!!

http://www.openoffice.org/contributing.html
http://development.openoffice.org/todo.html

Announcements

OpenOffice.org 2.0.1
--------------------
"New release of the free office suite OpenOffice.org offers additional
features

The OpenOffice.org Project today released version 2.0.1 of its office
suite. Eight weeks after the major release 2.0 was published, a first
update is available that brings along new features and remedies minor
bugs.

The main focus of the new release was correcting bugs, in particular in
localisations. However, a number of new features were added as well. So,
for example, it is now possible to disable and hide particular
application settings, which comes in handy for central administration in
networks. Moreover, a new keyboard shortcut permits the user to return
to a saved cursor position. The bullets and numbering feature has been
expanded, and a new mail merge feature is available.

Last but not least, Macedonian has been added as an official language.
Several other localized versions are also available, such as Turkish,
Russian, Slovenian, Hungarian, Estonian and Bulgarian."

http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=announce&msgNo=265

OpenOffice.org Support in Gmail
-------------------------------
"Don’t want to wait for an attachment to download? Now when you get
Microsoft Office, OpenOffice or .pdf attachments, you can view them as
a web page in HTML by clicking the "View as HTML" link right next to it.
For when you're on a mobile device or you don't want to install some new
software just to view a document. Or if you just want to see it faster."

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/about_whatsnew.html

First ECDL certification in Romania using OpenOffice.org
Here are great news from Romania reported by Cristian Driga:
"The Romanian national operator for ECDL announced that they have held
the first examination (ECDL Module 3 - Word Processing) using the
OpenOffice.org office suite."

http://marketing.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=21845

Thank you very much to Deepankar Datta!
---------------------------------------
Deepankar Datta has to spend more time on his job for a while and thus
decided to take a break from his OpenOffice.org newsletter work.
Deepankar did an outstanding job in putting together the newsletter
every month. In addition, he setup the great newsletter blog.

The newsletter team will miss Deepankar and wishes him all the best.
Thank you very much, Deepankar!

Three "new" contributors have joined the OpenOffice.org newsletter team.
Charles H. Schulz, Florian Effenberger and Kazunari Hirano are now
actively contributing to the newsletter blog. Welcome!

Nevertheless, more volunteers are invited to join! The newsletter blog
is setup as a group blog. Thus, multiple people can submit news.
Please let us know if you are interested in joining the team!

Success Stories

Australia
=========

Accountancy firm dumps Microsoft for OpenOffice
"ZDNet Australia understands the key driver of the migration at the
150-person HLB Mann Judd Association office is cost, with management
being reticent about paying for new licences for the latest versions of
Microsoft's flagship Office products. It is believed an initial
deployment of OpenOffice.org on about 40 desktops is being extended to
the entire office."

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Accountancy_firm_dumps_Microsoft_for_OpenOffice/0,2000061733,39226676,00.htm

Germany
=======

German City of Mannheim moving to OpenOffice.org
"Migrating those applications will not only take money, it will take time.
Because of this, Mannheim's shift to Linux on the desktop is not due to
start for five or six years. However, the move to OpenOffice on Microsoft
Windows will begin next year, with the aim of putting the open-source
productivity application on 3,500 desktops across 40 departments by 2009.
"The migration to OpenOffice has to end when support for Office 2003
ends, so we have about four or five years to complete the migration,"
Armbruster said."

http://www.zdnetindia.com/news/software/stories/131180.html

Macedonia
=========

Macedonia deploys 5000 GNOME Desktops in Public Schools
"When the Republic of Macedonia decided to deploy Linux in 468 schools and
182 computer labs nationwide, they chose GNOME on an Ubuntu distribution.
Arangel Angov met with Darko Arso, Technology Integration Manager at the
Education Development Center, to find out more about their reasons for
using GNOME"

Featured news

News from the Hungarian community
---------------------------------
Andras Timar, lead of the Hungarian Native-Language Project explains the
latest developments of the Hungarian community of OpenOffice.org: an
update web site, a new release and always more downloads!

http://native-lang.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=6147

[Interview] With Robin Miller on "Point and Click: OpenOffice.org"
"Miller introduces readers to OpenOffice.org 2.0, an alternative to
Microsoft Office's perceived hassles, upgrades and cost. OpenOffice.org
2.0 runs through Windows or Linux and offers word processing,
spreadsheets, presentations, drawing and databases. What's more, it's
free. In his new book, Miller provides software and instruction for the
basics of OpenOffice.org, as well as Firefox and Thunderbird."

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-openofficeorg-/2005/dec/1226818.htm

[Opinion] "OpenDocument Tipping Point"
--------------------------------------
"The coalition of companies and individuals willing to fight for an
open document standard seems to be growing day by day. At the recent
OpenDocument Summit held by Sun and IBM the attendee list included
industry heavyweights like Apple, CA, Intel, Google, Novell, Red Hat,
Corel, Oracle, Adobe and Nokia. Many of these companies are already
active members of the OASIS OpenDocument TC and/or contribute
actively to OpenOffice.org."

http://www.line56.com/articles/default.asp?ArticleID=7126

[Opinion] "A file format that's worth keeping - forever"
"There is some safety in numbers: popular file formats become de facto
standards and widely supported. But in the long term, the safest option
is a published, openly agreed (de jure) standard. At the moment,
Microsoft's Office file formats are the de facto standards. However, the
XML-based ODF (OpenDocument Format) has been put to the ISO
(International Organization for Standardization) as an open standard by
the Organisation for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards
(Oasis), with the support of IBM, Sun Microsystems, Intel, Google, Red
Hat and others."

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,16376,1660764,00.html

Open Source Law in Venezuela
----------------------------
"The stuff that is happening with "Software Libre" in Venezuela is
really mind-boggling. In January the Venezuelan open source law goes
into effect, mandating a two year transition to open source in all
public agencies. This massive undertaking will involve the training
of hundreds of thousands of government employees and migrating of the
software that runs not only their public agencies, but also their oil
industry (which accounts for 70% of the country's economy and is one
of the largest business enterprise in Latin America). They are talking
about a huge country-wide move to open source that dwarfs anything
I've heard about anywhere else."

http://www.osdir.com/Article8022.phtml

Tips & Tricks

"OpenOffice 2.0 Base: Getting the right views"
"In my first article on Base, I started out with an overview of the high
points: how to create a basic database and the actual table and how to
add data with a simple data entry form.

In this article, I'll go further into some of the features, such as views,
that give you more control over what data you see, including joining a
couple of tables in a view. Down the road, I'll look at reports, queries
and other topics."

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid39_gci1149900,00.html

OpenDocument News roundup

"it's clear that ODF, and not Open XML, is the better document standard"
"Dr. Manon Ress, a director at the CPTech (Consumer Project on
Technology), a Washington, DC-based non-profit created about 20 years
ago by Ralph Nader, sees ODF as a major consumer issue.
In her blog, Ress wrote, "What's at stake? If we compare what is going
on with the monopoly on word processing to the openness, creativity and
innovation in the field of authoring tools for the web, it becomes
clear that we could see important changes if ODF becomes the mandated
standard."
Why? Because, "ODF is important for insuring access, competition, cost
savings and data sharing now and in the future," said Ress.
And as for Open XML, "for many IT industries, let's say 'other than
Microsoft,' the possible merger of the 2 standards Ecma and ODF could
take years…and time is only on one side here. They see OASIS as the
'natural governing body' for XML and open standards models. ODF is an
existing standard, so why the delay? Who benefits from the delay and
the lack of public awareness? Well, we know who."
I'll give you three guesses, and the first two don't count."

2005's top 10 moments in IT" (OpenDocument mentioned!!!)
"For every trend there’s a defining moment. This year had more than
its share of watershed events that will have lasting impact on
enterprise IT. Here’s our look back at 2005’s wild mix of earth-shakers
and underreported occurrences:
Sun Opens Solaris June 14: Sun Microsystems (Profile, Products,
Articles) released Solaris as open source software, unlocking the
core of its OS. Solaris was one of many technologies Sun released
to open source this year, helping fuel a much broader acceptance of
open source technology in the enterprise.
Massachusetts Votes for Open Documents Sept. 21: The decision by the
Commonwealth of Massachusetts to standardize on Open Document Format
sparked major controversy, drew awareness to the open document effort,
and helped spur Microsoft (Profile, Products, Articles) to release
Office Open XML to the ISO."

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/12/19/51NNyearinreview_1.html

OpenDocument discussion veers toward consumers
"In a memo sent to Massachusetts Secretary of State William Galvin,
who has jurisdiction over public records, the library associations
said that the choice of OpenDocument, or ODF, is way to ensure that
electronic documents will be accessible hundreds of years from now.
"Requiring all Commonwealth employees to create documents in ODF
will make it significantly easier for libraries to ensure that
patrons 100 years from now will be able to read these historically
important documents," the letter said. It was dated December 12
and signed by the American Association for Law Libraries, the
American Library Association, the Association of Research Libraries,
the Medical Library Association, and the Special Libraries Association."

http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-5996639.html

Piper Cole on OpenDocument
--------------------------
"It just isn't in Microsoft's interest to have something that is
open and stable, said Piper Cole, the Sun vice president in charge
of government-relations efforts. "That's where governments come in,"
Cole said. "Microsoft doesn't have an economic interest in doing
that themselves. Nobody with a monopoly does. ""

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5995768.html

Interview with Updegrove
------------------------
"In this exclusive interview, Updegrove gives readers a refresher
course on how something as simple as how a digital document is
saved and archived could affect IT policy across the U.S. The
potential for shady dealings exists in Massachusetts, Updegrove
contends, but so far everyone -- from both sides of the debate --
appear to be playing by the rules."

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1151779,00.html

Economics Researchers Meet OpenDocument
---------------------------------------
"My invitation to speak came from the school's Laboratory of
Economics and Management (LEM). Giulio Bottazzi, Associate
Professor of Economics, works in CAFIM, the Research Center of
Analysis of Financial Markets, which is part of LEM. Giulio
always has worked in a scientific environment and, to use his
own words, "grew up with UNIX". He almost exclusively uses free
software, such as Emacs, gnuplot and TeX, in his work. Giulio
had read my article on OpenDocument and wanted me to come to
the school to talk about the need to keep industry standards
truly open.
The usage of customer lock-in techniques as barriers to reduce
competition is well known. Its extension to Information
Technology doesn't change the nature of the problem, which
has already been widely studied and documented by economists.
On the other hand, keeping digital documents fully accessible
for long periods of time is indeed a huge problem and expense,
whose true magnitude is still barely understood. I don't know
of any economic model [taking] this issue into account. It
would be interesting to develop it."

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8727

Comments from CCIA and Jupiter Research
---------------------------------------
"Others, such as the lobbying group CCIA publicly called for
the proposal to be rejected as it did not "meet basic principles
of openness."
But Jupiter Research senior analyst Joe Wilcox warned in
November that Microsoft has not yet detailed licensing terms
for Office Open XML, and could place restrictions on the usage
of its intellectual property."

http://www.betanews.com/article/Ecma_Approves_MS_Office_Committee/1134083759

IBM says "Nay" to Microsoft ECMA committee
"Novell, which, like IBM, is backing the rival OpenDocument
productivity application standard, had previously indicated
that it would participate in the ECMA technical committee."

http://news.com.com/2061-10798_3-5987774.html

Peter Korn about accessibility and Microsoft
"Microsoft has stated on numerous occasions that they believe
in and support open standards. But from my experience, they do
this not by joining existing open standards efforts, but instead
by creating entirely new, parallel (and arguably redundant)
"open standards" efforts around their own technologies."

http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/korn/20051203

Open Source and Open Standards in India
---------------------------------------
"A representative for India's National Informatics Center (NIC)
said in a statement that the country is pursuing a technology
policy of "open standards and open source".
"The NIC has received a mandate from the Central Department of
Information Technology to work in the areas of standards to
facilitate implementation of the National e-Governance
Program in the country," said M Moni, deputy director-general
of India's NIC. "The choice, flexibility and reliability
inherent in open standards like [OpenDocument] are critical
in our efforts to drive the eGovernance momentum in the country.""

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/0,39020369,39240178,00.htm

IBM to support OpenDocument early next year
"The governments of India, China and other emerging markets
are very interested in this," Fontaine said. "They don't have
the legacy of having everything saved in Microsoft Office to
transition from...This is an opportunity to start out right."

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5979150.html

CIO who brought OpenOffice to Massachusetts resigns
"The state government official who had been moving Massachusetts
away from Microsoft Corp.'s digital document formats has resigned.
Peter Quinn, Chief Information Officer (CIO) for the Commonwealth
of Massachusetts will quit his position, effective Jan. 9,
according to an internal memo obtained by the IDG News Service.
"Over the last several months, we have been through some very
difficult and tumultuous times," he wrote in the memo, which
was sent on the evening of Dec. 24 to staff within the ITD.
"Many of these events have been very disruptive and harmful
to my personal well being, my family and many of my closest
friends. This is a burden I will no longer carry."
"I have become a lightning rod with regard to any IT initiative.
Even the smallest initiatives are being mitigated or stopped by
some of the most unlikely and often uninformed parties," Quinn
wrote in his memo. "The last thing I can let happen is my
presence be the major contributing factor in marginalizing the
good work of ITD and the entire IT community.""

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;226118928;fp;16;fpid;0

Microsoft Wins, Open Standards Lose
-----------------------------------
“Opinion: CIO Peter Quinn's story tells us that if you go up
against Microsoft, you can expect everything and the kitchen
sink to be thrown at you.”

SCALE Announces Workshop On Open Standards For Government
“In partnership with The Open Document Fellowship, the Southern
California Linux Expo (SCALE) has announced plans to host a
workshop on open standards in government at their upcoming
conference, SCALE 4x. The focus of this workshop will be on the
use of OASIS OpenDocument Format for Office Applications (ODF)
and document accessibility standards in state and local government.
The goal of this event is to foster a discussion about choice in
software and open standards at all levels of California government.
The workshop will be held on February 10, 2006 at the Los Angeles
Airport Radisson and will lead into SCALE 4x, the 2006 Southern
California Linux Expo.”

http://technology.newsforge.com/newsvac/05/12/27/173230.shtml

'We are strong supporters of the open source movement'
“Using the Sun Grid service, virtually any consumer with a Web
browser will be able to upload proprietary documents, and have
them automatically converted to Open Document Format (ODF).
ODF documents are readable by any ODF-enabled applications
such as OpenOffice.org or StarOffice. Moreover, Sun soon
expects to make available a retail service that generates
audio podcasts from any text based content, such as weblog
or website.
The first of the Sun Grid utility services is a basic high
performance computing facility and currently available under
a commercial contract. The ODF service is expected to be
available soon on the Sun Grid Public Compute Utility, which
opens access to everyone via a portal. Sun’s Grid offering
can spare customers the need to build, manage, provision or
power their own computers and storage devices. ”

http://www.business-standard.com/iceworld/storypage.php?chklogin=&autono=209766&leftnm=lmnu9&leftindx=9&lselect=8

Clippings

* Peter Quinn resigns
  http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/peter-quinn-resigns.html

* George Ou writes another impartial article

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/george-ou-writes-another-impartial.html

* OpenOffice.org Suite Updates

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/openofficeorg-suite-updates.html

* OpenOffice.org Updated to Fix Bugs in 2.0

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/openofficeorg-updated-to-fix-bugs-in.html

* Worldlabel.com Releases Openoffice.org Label Templates for OOo Writer

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/worldlabelcom-releases-openofficeorg.html

* oh, by the way, the 2.0.1 is here
  http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/oh-by-way-201-is-here.html

* OpenOffice.org Support from Copernic Technologies

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/openofficeorg-support-from-copernic.html

* News from the Hungarian community

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/news-from-hungarian-community.html

* "Microsoft in a 'tizzy' over open

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/microsoft-in-tizzy-over-open-documents.html

* "Supporting two standards: Wise, or a Microsoft power play?"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/supporting-two-standards-wise-or.html

* [Interview] With Robin Miller on "Point and Click: OpenOffice.org"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/interview-with-robin-miller-on-point.html

* "Five must-have computer applications for home users"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/five-must-have-computer-applications.html

* "ODF: The Better, More Affordable Office Standard"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/odf-better-more-affordable-office.html

* "OpenDocument discussion veers toward consumers"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/opendocument-discussion-veers-toward.html

* [Opinion] "Darn Good Freebies"
  http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/opinion-darn-good-freebies.html

* "Sun: ODF needed to prevent 'corporate Alzheimer's'"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/sun-odf-needed-to-prevent-corporate.html

* "Sun calls for end to ODF mudslinging"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/sun-calls-for-end-to-odf-mudslinging.html

* Real Time Report: ODF/XML Open Forum at the Mass. State House

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/real-time-report-odfxml-open-forum-at.html

* "Microsoft: One open document standard good, two better"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/microsoft-one-open-document-standard.html

* "Massachusetts says it's open to multiple formats"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/massachusetts-says-its-open-to.html

* "Microsoft bows to Mass. with open records format - But rivals
skeptical of software vows"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/microsoft-bows-to-mass-with-open.html

* "Open Document format: a matter of sovereignty"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/open-document-format-matter-of.html

* "Open Document man cleared of smear"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/open-document-man-cleared-of-smear.html

* "Economics Researchers Meet OpenDocument"
  http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/economics-researchers-meet.html

* "Accountancy firm dumps Microsoft for OpenOffice"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/accountancy-firm-dumps-microsoft-for.html

* "ODF/XML Notes and Reports from All Over (Installment V)"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/odfxml-notes-and-reports-from-all-over.html

* [Opinion] "If this suite's a success, why is it so buggy?"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/opinion-if-this-suites-success-why-is.html

* "Microsoft's Office standard plan gets legal parsing"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/microsofts-office-standard-plan-gets.html

* [Tips & Tricks] "OpenOffice 2.0 Base: Getting the right views"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/tips-tricks-openoffice-20-base-getting.html

* [Opinion] "OpenDocument Tipping Point"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/opinion-opendocument-tipping-point.html

* [Opinion] "A file format that's worth keeping - forever"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/opinion-file-format-thats-worth.html

* ODF subpar for the disabled? Not so fast says Google researcher

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/odf-subpar-for-disabled-not-so-fast.html

* [Opinion] "Team ODF: Back on Offense (Did he Mention Massachusetts?)"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/opinion-team-odf-back-on-offense-did.html

* IBM goes open with office suite

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/ibm-goes-open-with-office-suite.html

* "One city's move to open source"

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/one-citys-move-to-open-source.html

* Macedonia deploys 5000 GNOME Desktops in Public Schools

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/macedonia-deploys-5000-gnome-desktops.html

* Hidden features and problems inside Microsoft Office

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/hidden-features-and-problems-inside.html

* Microsoft drops the office open standards ball

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/microsoft-drops-office-open-standards.html

* First ECDL certification in Romania using OpenOffice.org

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2005/12/first-ecdl-certification-in-romania.html

Statistics

* 682 people and companies have signed a JCA and are thus either already
  contributing or considering to do so (as of December 29, 2005):
  http://www.openoffice.org/copyright/copyrightapproved.html

* More than 280,000 people completed the user survey since the launch of
  OpenOffice.org 2.0 on October 20, 2005 (as of December 29, 2005).

Events

Upcoming
========

LCA 2006 OpenOffice.org Miniconf
Dunedin, New Zealand
www.openoffice.org.nz/miniconf/

LCA 2006
23-28 Jan 2006
Dunedin, New Zealand
www.linux.conf.au

Newsletter Archive

http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/SummarizeList?listName=announce

Contact Information (regarding this newsletter)