All,

Last week was extraordinary busy. Not only was OpenOffice.org 2.3 released (Monday) but we also held our annual event, OOoCon, in Barcelona.

The event unofficially started Tuesday and ended last Friday; videos and the full presentations are being progressively posted to the Web.

* See http://marketing.openoffice.org/ooocon2007/ for updates.

The event was terrific, and not just because this year it was held in Barcelona and at a venue whose beauty and location would be hard to best, the Universitat de Barcelona. Attendees had the opportunity to meet and socialize with some of the developers and other contributors making the project and product what it is. They could discuss coding, policies, marketing, business--and did, sometimes passionately. One of the best things of events such as this is that in-person communication very often leads to resolving Internet misunderstandings. Face-to-face meetings and discussions are essential for a project such as ours, which is large and spans the globe. It is also very difficult to achieve.

My thanks to the organizers, JesĂșs Corrius and Jordi Mas, and to the entire SoftcatalĂ  team, as well as the many volunteers who made the event so productive and enjoyable.

On Monday, OpenOffice.org 2.3 was released. Because of an oversight, we didn't send out an announcement to this list, though we did to our PR list, and it has since been picked up by many in the press. OpenOffice.org 2.3 is a *must* download. It not only includes a security fix, but also has some very cool new features. And, it works nicely with our growing number of extensions, hosted on our splendid new extensions site.

* To download: http://download.openoffice.org/2.3.0/

* Extensions: http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/

* New features: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/ New_Features_2.3

* Release notes: http://development.openoffice.org/releases/2.3.0.html