Title: OpenOffice.org Newsletter
OpenOffice.org Community Newsletter

December 2010

You can help the community. It is easy and fun!

There are dozens of opportunities to support the community and you do not have to be a developer to help out. Here are just two out of many examples:

Hunting issues is fun!
You hate ignoring issues?  Help us to get them fixed.
Join the QA project!

Would you like to see OpenOffice.org speak your language?
The Localization Project welcomes language contributors in the areas of translation, review and testing.

Don't be shy. Start volunteering today!

This month in the Community Council

  • Stefan Taxhet took over the role to lead the task to define a new communication and collaboration strategy.
  • NLC project applied an "Inactive Projects" status for mothballed projects.
  • Andreas Bartel reported that a new iTeam was created to work on the icons.
  • OOo Internship Project 2010 ended at Nov 14th. All agreed that it was a successful project that we should repeat. The project summary will be available soon.

The Community Council minutes are available here.

back to top

Featured News

Rob Weir: The Legacy of OpenOffice.org

When I hear the word “fork”, I reach for my gun.  OK.  Maybe it is not that bad.  But in the open source world, “fork” is a loaded term.  It can, of course, be an _expression_ of a basic open source freedom.
Read More »

OSOR: Scientific study into migration proves value of open source

Martti Karjalainen, who studied one of Europe's largest open source transitions, concludes that a large-scale migration to an open source office suite is feasible, resulting in substantial benefits, including cost savings.   Read More »

SkylineView: Openoffice.org: Never buy Microsoft Office again

It's midnight, and I'm freaking out. I suddenly realized at the very last moment that the PowerPoint presentation I had been working on my school's computer won't work on my PC at home for one large reason: I don't have a copy of PowerPoint installed.  Read More »

GullFOSS: gbuild: To boldly go where no build system has gone before ...

Since the first announcement of plans to replace the old build.pl/dmake build system with a new solution, one of the focus points was the correct handling of dependencies.  Read More »

GullFOSS: Initializing an I-Team for the improvement of the ODF-icons

Since the release of OpenOffice.org 3.2 we received a lot of very qualified feedback for the new ODF icons.  Read More »

GullFOSS: New Chart features in OO.o 3.3 Beta (3 parts)

Series of three blogs about the new features in Chart.
First, Second and Third article

back to top

Tips & Tricks

wikiHow: How to Add Clipart to OpenOffice.org

OpenOffice.org is a great, free, office suite. Learn how to add new Cliparts to OpenOffice,org.  Read More »

GullFOSS: Increased flexibility in choosing OOo installation path on Windows

Starting with OpenOffice.org 3.3, it is possible again to modify the complete installation path on Windows, including the directory "OpenOffice.org 3  Read More »

eHow How to Export a PostScript in OpenOffice.org

You can save your OOo files into PostScript ".ps" format.
Read More »

back to top

OpenDocument (ODF)

NLnet foundation sees ODF as a key technology for the future of our society

ODF spawned a collective move away from company-dictated file formats that can only be adequately opened by a single application from a single vendor.  Read More »

Implementation of OOXML: What Governments Need to Know

OOXML Confusion Derives from Creation through the ISO/IEC Approval Process to Today's Multiple Versions.  Read More »

back to top

In this issue