I just looked over ssh.py and ssh_old.py; if I were to actually want to sit down and do this, I would factor those 2 classes, into a common base class, then introduce a third version that supported ProxyCommand.

ps: I notice something odd in the two files above:

==
- def exec_command(self, cmd, tmp_path, sudo_user=None, sudoable=False, executable='/bin/sh', in_data=None, su=False, su_user=None): + def exec_command(self, cmd, tmp_path, sudo_user=None, sudoable=False, executable='/bin/sh', in_data=None, su_user=None, su=False):
==

Why is the order of the last 2 args reversed for those two files? Seems like it might cause some confusion.