"My thoughts would be that you set up hostX as a backup client with a
backup role and backup everything...(maybe excluding certain temporary
directories)...  Why do you want something explicitly different for web
servers/web sites?"

Agree.

I'd configure your backup tool to indicate what paths should be backed up.

Even if doing something as basic as rsync, rsync is very good at
determining what files it needs to move.

Otherwise you are backing up only the things that ansible has known it
changed, which doesn't include things that the software could have changed
by itself (databases) or users logging in.

Thus the backup process should probably be independent of the ansible
playbook process -- ansible will set up the backup to core, or cause it,
but I'd venture it shouldn't make decisions on what needs to be backed up
conditionally based on what it changed, as that could miss things you might
want to back up.