Okay - I think I understand.  If I have 'dirs.orig' pointing to the global
area, and dirs.local pointing to the local modified area, and want to put
the file into 'dest', I can do the following:

<property name="frompath" value="${dirs.orig}/foo"/>
<available file="${dirs.local}/foo" property="frompath"
           value="${dirs.local}/foo"/>
<copy file="${frompath}" todir="${dirs.base}/dest"/>

The first line sets the default to the orig directory; the second line
overrides the value of 'frompath' if there exists a file in the .local
directory, and the last line does the copy with whatever the value of the
variable happens to be.

(This is still a little more work than I indended, but I guess that's why
there's Perl/Awk to add these lines into my customizations on build.xml.)

Thanks for the help,
Russ