> However, if instead we run ant with -classpath (the same
> classpath with some
> java source dirs), the compile fails on an import on one of the
> dependencies
> on one of the source files in the classpath. We also tried setting the
> classpath inside the build.xml file. That didn't work either.

Here is part of my build file... classpath is working great for me.

<path id="project.classpath">
        <pathelement path="${classpath}"/><!-- system classpath... in my case it's
empty -->
        <fileset dir="${lib.home}">
                <include name="**/*.jar"/><!-- This are external jar files -->
        </fileset>
        <pathelement location="${src.home}"/> <!-- src.home points to the directory
under                           which all my java files are arranged in directories
according to
                        standard package naming -->
</path>

        <!-- this is the portion that compiles the sources -->
        <javac
                srcdir="${src.home}"
                destdir="${compile.to}\"
                debug="on"

                <classpath refid="project.classpath"/>
        </javac>

Hope this example helps. Otherwise I would suggest posting the appropiate
parts of your buils file and I'll take a look and see what is going on.
You should note that the path element is not under a target, but declared
before any target so that it can be reused in other parts. The javac part IS
declared inside a target.

Good Luck.

Ylan Segal.