Just who are we shooting at, Mr President?
http://www.smh.com.au/news/0109/20/opinion/opinion3.html

There is great danger in the US opening fire
before identifying the enemy,
writes Andrew Vincent.

The hideous events in New York and Washington last week have focused
international attention on the question of terrorism in a way
inconceivable before September 11. We have been told repeatedly that the
world will never be the same and that we have started the first war of
the 21st century.

Australia is part of that war, and Prime Minister John Howard has, quite
correctly, expressed unwavering support for the United States in its
plight. The Bush Administration is busily mobilising US allies for the
struggle ahead, and there has, thankfully, been no knee-jerk reactions
from Washington as was the case following the bombing of US embassies in
Nairobi and Dar es Salaam in 1998.

The difficulty with this scenario is the vexed question of exactly who
we are at war with. Are we at war with just the Saudi dissident Osama
bin Laden, a "super-empowered individual" in the words of The New York
Times, but an individual all the same? Or are we at war with
Afghanistan, one of the poorest and certainly most poorly governed
countries in the world today? If so, it is significant that there were
no Afghan citizens among the hijackers who aimed their fuel-heavy flying
bombs at the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon last week.

Or are we at war with Islam, giving voice to Samuel Huntington's
doomsday scenarios of a Clash of Civilisations? The US needs to be at
war with somebody because of last week's events, but we, and they, need
to be very careful indeed in deciding exactly who the enemy is.

There is an enormous domestic pressure on the US Government to put a
face to the enemy. In recent days the face of the enemy has been that of
bin Laden. But there are difficulties here. Bin Laden's denial of
involvement can perhaps be discounted, but as the investigation
proceeds, it is becoming increasingly apparent that although the attacks
were carried out by groups inspired, trained and maybe even financed by
the exiled Saudi, the decision to "go" was probably made by a terrorist
in the US, not in Afghanistan or any other country.

Already American spin doctors and lobbyists are trying to widen the
conflict, for the absence of a proper country with which to wage war is
a real problem and Afghanistan is hardly a worthy candidate. There have
even been suggestions, probably originating from Israel, that the
revolutionary groups Hezbollah and Fatah were involved in the attack
along with bin Laden. Such a transparent attempt to channel the US
response in favour of Israel's own interests can probably be discounted.

That said there is no doubt that the US has plenty of enemies in the
Middle East. After all it led a war against a still unrepentant Iraq a
decade ago and US embassies in the region are now more like medieval
fortresses than diplomatic missions. Until recently Washington had
described its enemies in the Middle East and elsewhere as "rogue
states", and according to the accepted canon one of the characteristics
of the "states of concern", as they are now termed, is that they sponsor
terrorism. With the exception of Iraq, all of these states have rather
nervously denounced the attack on the US.

The real danger of the coming weeks is that one or more of those
countries, the rogue states of the Middle East, may be "found" by the
spin doctors or by the on-going investigation itself to have been
involved in the attack. If we suddenly start to read that Iraq, Iran,
Syria or even Libya has had a hand in the catastrophe, alarm bells
should begin to ring. We would need to examine the evidence proffered by
the Americans very carefully indeed, as the present crisis presents a
rare opportunity to the hawks in Washington to unleash their undoubted
military power against countries which have been thorns in the side of
the US for years.

If, on the other hand, it is decided that we are at war with Islam, we
should not be surprised to see Islam rallying in its defence, possibly
with support from much of the developing world. In this unlikely
scenario, we would truly be entering a "clash of civilisations" and one
of the first casualties would be our own policies of multiculturalism
and tolerance. The callers to talk-back radio would be justified and a
new dark ages would descend upon us.

Let us hope that this new war remains a war against terrorism, and let
us hope that the US is successful in mopping up all of the terrorist
cells.

Let us also give the US every assistance in this task. If this is the
extent of the first war of the 21st century, the world will not have
changed very much and the attack on the US will not have been the
seminal event that so many observers have been saying it is. But,
paradoxically, if this is to be the case, George Bush may be seen as a
deeply flawed president - or even, like his father before he fought a
war against Iraq, as a wimp.

Dr Andrew Vincent is director of the Centre for Middle East and North
African Studies at Macquarie University.