Pushing the POTO
By Kuldip Nayar , The Hindu Nov 28
I THOUGHT we had closed the chapter on the right to stay free. The ousting of the
British had registered our determination and the Constitution had enshrined the
resolve. The challenge came during the Emergency (1975-77) when one lakh people were
detained without trial. Yet, we were able to roll back the misrule by ousting all
those who were part of the oppressive machinery. The Congress Government again revived
the MISA of Emergency-fame in the shape of the TADA in 1984 in the wake of the
happenings in Punjab. But the measure did not stay for long because its misuse had
killed thousands of innocent people and put some 75,000 men and women behind bars,
only one per cent of whom were convicted.
After a lapse of several years, the BJP-led Government has promulgated the Prevention
of Terrorism Ordinance (POTO). The Union Home Minister, Mr. L. K. Advani, has thrown
down the gauntlet. It is for the people to pick it up. They are the ones who will be
picked up on mere suspicion.
The history of preventive detention is littered with examples of state terrorism. The
measure will be used once again against trade unionists, human rights activists and
members of minorities rather than against the terrorists. Once again it will be a
reign of terror. The National Human Rights Commission's repeated advice has had no
effect on the Government.
The existing laws are good enough to fight terrorism. Leading jurists have also
pointed out that there is no need for special legislation and that the administration
has enough powers to deal with any untoward situation. But the Government's purpose is
not to challenge the terrorists but to chastise those who oppose saffronisation and
are committed to civil liberties and human rights. The craze for power has made the
Government go beyond the proposals of the Law Commission which set the ball rolling.
The Government did not send the ordinance to the Parliamentary Standing Committee of
Home Affairs for its opinion.
Mr. Advani appears to have made the ordinance a matter of prestige. He has gone to the
extent of saying that those who oppose the ordinance are supporting terrorism. In the
face of such a statement, what do the safeguards against the misuse of the POTO mean?
It is going to be the same old game: them against us, the rulers against the critics.
And the police will see to it that the will of their political masters prevails.
No one is opposed to the fight against terrorists. People all over the country suffer
at their hands. But the suffering at the hands of the police is no less. There is no
rule which is not bent and there is no excess which is not committed when word comes
from the top to fix someone. What remedy does the common man have against state
tyranny? Even the power of law courts has been curtailed. If it is power, the
Government has already too much for the liking of civil society. The National Security
Act, the Armed Forces Special Powers Act, the Disturbed Area Act, the Special Court
Act and the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act - all of them are special laws.
Ordinary laws are no less severe. Rajiv Gandhi's killers were sentenced to death under
the ordinary law, not the TADA.
On top of it, the security forces indulge in encounters. The disappearance of civil
liberties activists is common. Till today, the police have not produced human rights
activist Khalra of Punjab despite the Supreme Court's order. The POTO will be yet
another instrument of oppression. The Government seldom pursues real terrors for
political reasons. Those who committed terror and killed thousands in Delhi in 1984
and Mumbai in 1993 have yet to be brought to book.
In any case, Mr. Advani is the last person who should be telling us what terrorism is.
He has been charge-sheeted in the Babri Masjid demolition case. He is the one who
should answer whether such an act amounted to terrorism or not. It is, however,
intriguing that the POTO, unlike the TADA, does not say that alienating people or
affecting the harmony among different sections is a terrorist act.
Never has independent India been subjected to warrantless electronic surveillance.
This is the worst kind of attack on an individual's liberty. What differentiates
democracy from dictatorship is personal freedom; the first guarantees it and the
second fetters it. I recall that the Congress Government once brought a Bill to
intercept mail. Parliament passed it. But the then President, Giani Zail Singh,
refused to sign it because he considered it interference in a citizen's privacy. When
we have fought terrorism for more than a decade without resorting to what America and
Great Britain are doing, why should we now introduce such draconian measures which are
bound to be misused as has been the experience? Even then there is no provision in the
latest U.S. measure to detain any national even for a day. The POTO, on the other
hand, gives the police the power to hold anyone for six months without trial. And it
is the suspect who has to prove that he is not a terrorist.
Had the POTO been there in 1987, I could have been hauled up as a journalist. I had
gone to the Golden Temple, Amritsar, to collect information on Operation Bluestar.
Three young Sikhs recognised me. They took me to a room within the temple premises.
They discussed with me the pros, not cons, of the demand for Khalistan. When I asked
them how they would achieve their objective, they said Pakistan and China had promised
to help. I laughed at their naivety. I did not ask their names because I did not
consider it relevant to what I thought I would write. In my article I wondered how
many from among the Sikh youths had been brainwashed into believing something which
even on the face of it was preposterous. Some in the police must have read the article
but none bothered me.
Again were I to go to the Northeast and publish today an interview with some of the
militants who wanted independence, I would probably be hauled up. One, such an article
may be considered a pat on the back for the terrorists. Two, the authorities would ask
me the names and whereabouts of those militants. If I were to disclose their
identities, I would block the avenues of any contact in the future with such people.
Nations no longer lose freedom to outsiders. The danger is from insiders who, in the
name of security or protection, curb an individual's say. Individual or organised
terrorism is bad enough but state terrorism is worse. It squeezes out all that is good
in a nation with the sanction of law.
Take the one-year-old State of Chhatisgarh. The incident took place at Nagarnar the
other day. The Government decided to set up a steel plant there. Records were
fabricated to show the consent of the gram sabhas concerned for land acquisition for
the site. Even the Home Ministry's guidelines (1974) on the establishment of big
industries were flouted: an alternative means of livelihood on a permanent basis for
individuals directly displaced and indirectly affected in the zone of influences needs
to be provided. Some Nagarnar people gathered to voice their protest. But they were
lathi-charged and tear-gassed. Forty-five people were seriously injured. The
authorities are not repentant.
The human rights activist, Mr. B. D. Sharma, visited Nagarnar to assess the situation.
He was aware about the developments since the villagers had filed a serious complaint
alleging fabrication of records with the National Commission for Scheduled Castes and
Scheduled Tribes. It was clear to him that the police action was largely to teach the
villagers a lesson for the complaint made by them. If the POTO becomes a law, the
Chhatisgarh Government may declare leaders of the area terrorists.