From: Jose G. Perez

Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001 12:33 AM
Subject:  Chávez defies protests of his economic policies

Published Wednesday, November 28, 2001
Chávez defies protests of his economic policies

CARACAS -- President Hugo Chávez dared Venezuela's largest business
federation Tuesday to proceed with a one- day strike to protest his economic
policies, saying his government's popularity would win the day.

``I dare them to have that strike. We will see who has more strength,
[business] or the sovereign people,'' Chávez said while inaugurating a
transportation law. ``I'm the head of state. You're not going to put me
against the wall; you're not going to blackmail me.'' ...

http://www.miami.com/herald/content/news/americas/digdocs/071008.htm