You know, the USA and its allies are becoming ever more "Turkish" in their
military and security practices. By that I mean that they are showing
greater and greater ruthlessness.
In December 2000, the Turkish authorities carried out a prison crackdown,
killing 28 prisoners. (Two of the troops involved were also killed, but at
least one of them died as a result of "friendly fire".) Many other prisoners
were wounded and brutalised, but nonetheless the majority of prisoners
survived, as opposed to what appears to be a massacre in Afghanistan a
couple of days ago that spared nobody. So we have just seen a "Turkish
prison" massacre multiplied to a power of 10.
The "Turkish" aspect goes more widely than that. We are seeing an
ever-increasing attempt to control information. In Turkey, newspapers and
journals whose line differs from that of the state have been bombed or
police have carried out raids on them. Journalists are numbered among the
"disappeared". Lesser forms of sanctions are also common. In the same way,
Al-Jazeera was bombed.
But perhaps I am looking through the wrong end of the telescope. It is not
the USA that is becoming more "Turkish". Rather, the practices it has long
encouraged by security forces in states like Turkey are now being adopted
more directly by US and allied forces.

Steve K.