Title: Message
How free is our so-called free press?
John Miller
THERE ARE facts, and then there is the truth.

When we consider media convergence in Canada — and, in particular, our biggest media conglomerate, CanWest Global Communications — it is important to understand that facts and truth are not always the same.

Here's a fact: Several columns that once appeared in CanWest Global newspapers, including one by Stephen Kimber in the Halifax Daily News, have been killed, either for unspecified inaccuracies, or because they challenged corporate policy. All decisions, according to head office, have been made by local editors.

Here's the truth: In a remarkable act of integrity, Daily News editor Bill Turpin resigned this week, but not before saying that he killed Kimber's column after being advised by Murdoch Davis, his CanWest boss in Winnipeg. "I and other editors had been urged repeatedly by Mr. Davis to get his advice on any prospective commentary that might run contrary to Southam Publications' rapidly changing editorial policies," Turpin said in an unpublished letter. "To my profound regret, I did so in Mr. Kimber's case. Mr. Davis told me in colourful terms that publishing the piece would be a career disaster."

Issues of editorial control raised by his letter, and the sheer size of CanWest Global's influence over news, have raised legitimate questions about how free our so-called free press is.

CanWest Global owns 27 daily newspapers. That's a fact. They include the National Post and major newspapers in Ottawa and six of 10 provincial capitals. They distribute 11.4 million copies every week. This is dwarfed by Global's television network, which beams itself to 94 per cent of English-speaking Canada (Source: CanWest Global). The company's radio, film, Internet and entertainment holdings give it unprecedented control over the information Canadians use every day.

Saying CanWest's newspaper empire is modest when compared to Conrad Black's is like trying to justify Bosnia because it was more humane than the Holocaust.

Saying that we don't need a federal inquiry into media ownership because "press freedom is freedom from state censorship" (National Post) is like hitting me over the head with a frying pan and saying it's about cooking. Our Charter of Rights grants press freedom to everyone and stands against censorship from any quarter, including those who own the presses.

CanWest's corporate motto is: "If you can watch it, read it, hear it, or download it, we want to be the source." Fair enough, but its owners want Ottawa to help by giving them more tax money, and emasculating the CBC.

These are important public policy issues, but can we count on CanWest to allow a full debate of the pros and cons in its newspapers? It already orders its 14 largest papers to print identical, weekly editorials on national issues, and forbids any dissent.

We are therefore right to ask: Do we want our newspapers edited by people who are afraid to publish strong opinions until they are cleared with head office?

Do we want what Doug Creighton, founder of the Toronto Sun, called Wizard of Oz journalism — with no brains, no heart and no courage? Concerns about the effects of convergence are growing. Something must be done.

John Miller is author of Yesterday's News and director of newspaper journalism at Ryerson.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1019772130235&call_page=TS_Opinion&call_pageid=968256290124&call_pagepath=News/Opinion&col=968350116695