Title: Message
Dr. Milan Tepavac

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Dear Mr. President:

The reason I decided to write you this letter is your message sent to Mr. Vojislav Kostunica, President of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, on the occasion of the tenth anniversary of the adoption of its constitution. In your message there are at least two assertions that call for comment.

Mr. President, I am sure that you will agree that every honest and rational human endeavor must be based on the right premise. The simple logic tells us that if the basic premise is wrong then everything else is wrong. I am afraid that many premises in your message are wrong and, thus, your conclusions are inevitably wrong.

First, your premise that until recently (I suppose that you mean before the 5th of October, 2000, that is before the so-called "Serbian October Revolution") the Belgrade leadership was the main cause of sufferings, agonies and anguish and wars in the Balkans. Here you are absolutely wrong. The wars in former Yugoslavia were masterminded, planned, fomented, initiated, financed and waged elsewhere, not in Serbia. Secessionist-terrorist wars which bloodily dismembered former Yugoslavia were executed by Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovina (Macedonia achieved secession "peacefully", but nevertheless unconstitutionally) when foreign powers gave them financial and material help, including arms, and when they promised them diplomatic recognition as independent states. Without that help and promises there would not had been wars on the Yugoslav soil. It was the duty of foreign powers - under the provisions of the Charter of the United Nations, the Helsinki Final Act of the OSCE and other international legal and political instruments - not to help violent secessions but to help, to contribute to the peaceful solution of Yugoslav political problems. If foreign powers said: "OK, you've got problems, you have to discuss all your problems as long as it is needed - even for 30 years - but you mustn't resort to violence. The international community will newer diplomatically recognize secessionist entities as independent states" - there would be no wars. Instead of acting in that way, Germany, the USA and other foreign countries under their control acted as they did. To be more specific about this, Germany played the decisive role concerning Croatia and Slovenia, while the USA sealed Bosnia-Herzegovina's fate. Altogether, foreign powers and secessionist criminals sealed Serbs' fate. Although all Yugoslav peoples became the Biblical victims of such a policy, the Serbs were the greatest. There are no Serbs any more in Krajina (please find enclosed an article from the yesterday's Washington Times written by an US Air Force officer about the US role in the genocide of Krajina Serbs) and western Bosnia who lived there from the time long before America was discovered. The first genocide during World War II occurred there against Serbs; then, after the meeting between Hitler and Ante Pavelic of Croatia (which at that time included Bosnia-Herzegovina) on June 6, 1941 the Holocaust started...

Secondly, you insist on full cooperation with the so-called International Criminal Tribunal for Former Yugoslavia (ICTY), which includes extradition of Yugoslav citizens to that institution and handing over all state's document which the Tribunal would demand. You even welcomed the kidnapping and arrest of Mr. Slobodan Milosevic, former freely elected President of Yugoslavia, by the officials of the Tribunal in cooperation with the present regime in Belgrade, installed by you in the "Serbian October Revolution".

First of all, Mr. President, that so-called tribunal is an illegal and illegitimate institution. Security Council of the United Nations had no power to establish it, you know that. Security Council is a political body of the UN, not a legislative one; it had no right whatsoever to formulate substantive rules of international law in "tribunal" statute (articles 2-5) and to determine penalties. You who are against even regular - that is legal and legitimate - international criminal court have no right, neither legal nor moral, to demand complete submission to the ICTY a sovereign and independent state. So, the so-called trial in The Hague of Mr. Milosevic is a mockery of justice, great shame of our civilization and deathblow to international law. I assure you that my intention is not to defend Milosevic; I am just trying to defend the truth.

These are only some of the remarks that must be made in connection with your above-mentioned message to the president of Yugoslavia "and Yugoslav people", as you put it. Since you sent the message also on behalf of the American people, you must agree that your people have the right to know of these remarks.

Mr. President, I assure you that I always considered United States of America as a beacon of freedom and liberty, as the statue in New York symbolizes it. I started my studying the law and politics with the text of the Declaration of Independence. But, from November 30, 1990 when your father - then the president of the United States - first signed so-called Public Law 101-513 which meant direct incitement to breaking up of Yugoslavia I consider America, with its frightening power, the main treat for the destiny of the whole world if it does not change fundamentally its policy and return to the tenants of the Declaration of Independence and other great values of a great country and a great people. You and your Democrat predecessor ruined my country, my people, my relatives, me personally, with your arrogant, immoral and irresponsible policy. Still, I don't believe that you personally are such a person. I believe that you are the victim of wicked lobbies, of your advisers and officials who lie to you, who deceive you. I am willing and prepared to meet you or a person of your trust who possesses honesty and objective knowledge of the matters touched upon in this letter at any time and at any place, in order to substantiate what I said in this letter. I am sure that I would convince you that I was telling the truth, nothing but the truth, but not whole truth.

With highest consideration,

Sincerely yours,

Dr. Milan Tepavac, Belgrade, Yugoslavia
[EMAIL PROTECTED]