http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/news/world/07-us-troop-surge-in-afghanistan-to-begin-next-week-ha-03

Dawn (Pakistan)
December 8, 2009

US troop surge in Afghanistan to begin next week

-At Camp Lejeune, Mullen held up the surge two years ago in Iraq under former
president George W. Bush as a model for success, saying the American military
had learned how to fight a counter-insurgency campaign.
‘We became from 2006 the best counter-insurgency force in the world,’ he said,
adding that it happened ‘just in time.’
-The new commitments are expected to swell the ranks of foreign troops in
Afghanistan next year to 150,000, some two thirds of them US forces.

WASHINGTON: The Pentagon on Monday announced the first wave of a troop surge
into Afghanistan as the top military officer told Marines they had a short
window to seize back the initiative from the Taliban.

Members of a 1,500-strong contingent of US Marines will begin arriving in
southern Afghanistan next week as part of the first elements of President
Barack Obama’s troop build-up of 30,000 troops, officers said.

Speaking to the young Marines preparing to head off to war, Admiral Mike
Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the clock was ticking for
the pivotal mission and that US-led forces had to break the momentum of the
insurgents.

‘We’ve got about 18 to 24 months,’ Mullen told a gathering of Marines at Camp
Lejeune in North Carolina.

‘The slope on this insurgency is going in the wrong direction and it has picked
up three years – each year – to a significant degree,’ he said.

‘We’ve got to turn that insurgency around.’
The Marine unit from Camp Lejeune was among 16,000 forces who received
deployment orders in the past few days as part of the surge.

Mullen and other top officials have acknowledged that US forces and their
NATO-led allies will suffer more casualties as they take the fight to the
Taliban, ousted in a 2001 US-led invasion.

After an exhaustive three-month strategy review, Obama unveiled his plan last
week to send reinforcements while setting a July 2011 date for the start of a
US drawdown.

During the White House deliberations, Obama pushed military advisers to come up
with a faster plan to deploy forces in the first half of 2010, despite the
daunting logistical challenge presented by Afghanistan’s rugged terrain and
lack of paved roads or runways.

‘What he wanted was to pull this bell curve, which showed the deployment of
forces, to the left,’ General David Petraeus said in an interview on Sunday.

‘And we said that, yes, we thought we could indeed compress the time line for
deployment,’ the general told ‘Fox News Sunday.’

At Camp Lejeune, Mullen held up the surge two years ago in Iraq under former
president George W. Bush as a model for success, saying the American military
had learned how to fight a counter-insurgency campaign.

‘We became from 2006 the best counter-insurgency force in the world,’ he said,
adding that it happened ‘just in time.’
The United States hopes the 7,000 additional troops promised by NATO allies
will arrive in Afghanistan by the first half of 2010, Flournoy said.

Some of the allied contributions were troops that had deployed temporarily for
the August presidential elections that now would be ordered to stay, but most
of the additional forces were new, she said.

The new commitments are expected to swell the ranks of foreign troops in
Afghanistan next year to 150,000, some two thirds of them US forces.

Apart from the 1,500 Marines heading to southern Helmand province this month,
another 6,200 Marines from Camp Lejeune were due to deploy in the ‘early
spring’ next year and 800 Marines based in California would head to Afghanistan
at the same time, the Pentagon said.

The US Army also was mobilizing troops, with 3,400 from the 10th Mountain
Division in Fort Drum in New York state ordered to head out in the spring to
focus on training Afghan security forces.

About 4,100 support troops, which include medics and bomb disposal teams, also
were ordered to deploy between now and the spring of 2010.