http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/news/pakistan/provinces/04-explosion-lower-dir-qs-01

Dawn News
February 3, 2010

Bomb kills three US marines, TTP claim attack

TIMERGARA: Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan have claimed responsibility for the bomb
attack on Wednesday that killed three American soldiers, a spokesman for the
network claimed in a telephone call to AFP.

“We claim responsibility for the blast,” Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP)
spokesman Azam Tariq said, calling from an undisclosed location.

A bomb planted outside a girls' school killed three US soldiers in the Lower
Dir district.
Three children and a Pakistani paramilitary soldier were also killed and 45
people were wounded in the blast near Swat Valley, where the government mounted
a crackdown nearly a year ago it said had cleared out al Qaeda-linked Taliban.

Wednesday’s blast occurred in Koto village in Lower Dir’s Hajiabad area. It was
triggered by a remote-controlled device.

The three US soldiers were part of a small unit that trains Pakistani Frontier
Corps....

The Taliban spokesman alleged the dead Americans belonged to security company
Blackwater Worldwide, which has earned global notoriety over its activities in
Iraq.

However the US embassy said three US military personnel who were due to attend
the opening of a girls' school were killed and two others wounded.

“The Americans killed were members of the Blackwater group. We know they are
responsible for bomb blasts in Peshawar and other Pakistani cities,” said the
Taliban spokesman.

“We have warned we will take revenge and today we have avenged the deaths of
innocent people,” Tariq said in reference to an October 28, 2009 attack that
killed 125 people in Pakistan's northwestern city of Peshawar.

Blackwater Worldwide changed its name to Xe in February 2009, following what
the company said was a switch of business focus.