From: Gustaf Neumann [mailto:neum...@wu.ac.at]
Sent: 29 September 2012 14:31
To: aolserver-talk@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [AOLSERVER] Windows Support

Maurizio,

the mentioned thread in the OpenACS forum is about speed, not functionality.
The issue came up for large sites when postgres changed the rules for their
optimizer. I would think that most OpenACS sites work fine with current pg
versions.
The 9.* support is in OpenACS  CVS since July last year (rather large
change, bring stored procedures to the level of current postgres,
substantial changes in 55 files, see [1]).
Since recursive queries are as well rather new in pg, and the changes for
OpenACS to use recursive queries requires update-scripts that might run a
few hours, we sent the recursive query optimizations to the main
stakeholders at the begin of this year and received little feedback so far
(maybe they prefer to be conservative for their large sites, maybe they
don't have the mentioned performance issue).
The recursive query optimizations are as well publically available [2]. Yes,
the code will go from our point of view into future OpenACS, but we are not
the only OpenACS users, and we do not want to break other installations...

This discussion is here somewhat off-topic, it has nothing to do with
aolserver (or Windows support).
-gustaf neumann

[1]
http://cvs.openacs.org/changelog/OpenACS/openacs-4/packages/acs-kernel