We had a weird problem like this with ns_shares.  There was a race in
the shared array variable evaluation code that occurred around 1 in
20K requests on a production server.

To track it down, I had to use 2 dedicated dual-cpu servers on a
100Mbit LAN, and used ab on one server to send simultaneous requests
to the other.  Since you have a specific URL that fails (I didn't),
you should be able to get the failure rate fast enough that you can
reproduce the problem quickly.  In our case, sending 10K requests per
second would cause the failure within a few seconds.

If the simulation runs w/o exhibiting this, then your problem might be
a context issue: the browser type/version, cookies that are sent with
the request, etc., though that seems unlikely since the context should
be exactly the same in both requests in your example below.

Good luck!
Jim