On 2004.02.27, John Shafto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Reading the docs, it says that one can either use the bin/nspasswd
> program or cut and paste an encrypted password from the system passwd
> file.   Well, there is no bin/nspasswd program in any of the aolserver
> builds I have.

What docs are you reading?  On the web?  If so, please provide the URL.
I have a feeling you're looking at old (AOLserver 2.x) docs ...

> I find some references on the web to a ns_passwd module for encrypting
> passwords within the server, but nothing outside.  When I copy from
> the system passwd file, the '$' characters in the md5 encrypted
> passwords there goof the nsperm module up, and it fails to load.  I
> even tried to remove the $1$ md5 marker at the beginning, but '$'
> within the passwords still messed it up.

nsperm doesn't speak md5 hashed passwords, only unix crypt.  If you need
to crypt a password, try this Perl script one-liner:

$ perl -le 'print crypt("password", "..");'
..UZoIyj/Hy/c

Replace "password" with the password you want to encrypt (up to 8
characters -- anything more gets truncated silently anyway).  The output
from the script ("..UZoIyj/Hy/c") is the crypted password that you can
cut and paste into your passwd file.

> I suppose it wants DES or some other encryption type there,
> any clues/tips on what it wants, and how to get it quickly
> (without writing a program)?

Sorry, wrote a program.  But, Perl is widespread enough that I'm
figuring it's not a problem.

-- Dossy

--
Dossy Shiobara                       mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]