That's not something the pipe ever sees - you can't fix it on your end.
It's something I have to adjust in Transfuse.

https://github.com/TinoDidriksen/Transfuse/blob/master/src/dom.cpp#L604 and
L629 expands inline tags to encompass surrounding plain text, because it is
unfortunately common for formatting to be partially on a word while you
really want the whole word translated as a unit.

However, for HTML I should add spaces around <sub> and <sup> so that they
can't gobble up their surroundings. Tracked as
https://github.com/TinoDidriksen/Transfuse/issues/7

-- Tino Didriksen