> On Mar 21, 2021, at 12:59 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> When I flip that switch, the dummy search no longer occurs when connection
>> is retrieved, which is `good.
>> Wonder what we lose.  Recovery from connections being timed out by server or
>> reset by intermediaries like routers?
>
> Not that much. The gain is not enormous either, just  a round trip. The LDAP
> server is not under heavy strain with such a request, it's an automatic
> answer. This is what you would use for a Health Check.

I’m going to have to respectfully disagree here. Under heavy load situations,
that round trip can be costly.  Even 10ms is a waste of time because Fortress
grabs a connection from the pool and performs (usually) just one operation.
Having that extra round trip per operation is unacceptable, regardless of what
it may be doing to/on the server.

> The risk not doing such a check is very very tenuous.

This is what I was hoping you were going to say.  I’ve tested restarting the
server after the pool was created and it seems OK.

> However, we have implemented it as commons-pool requires it to be
> implemented. The question would be to know if we should make it a default.

Now that I understand what’s going on, I’m going to turn this off by default.
It can still be enabled in the fortress config, but don’t see a need for it.

One more question, is this:

adminPool.setTestWhileIdle( testWhileIdle );

Not as concerned about it but wonder if it can safely be turned off as well.

Thanks for chiming in Emmanuel.

—
Shawn