Due to changes that are now in the OpenLDAP mainline and part of their 2.5 beta
release, password policies work a bit differently.

First, the schema ppolicy.schema is built in and isn’t included as entry in the
slapd config.  This change doesn’t have relevance here as it’s an
implementation detail.

The second change does apply here.  It requires following the RFC standard for
client induced changes to the operational attributes on the user entry that
help manage pw polices.

Specifically, when editing values like pwdLockout and pwdPolicySubentry, the
relax control must be included in the request before the server will make any
changes.

I’ve created a ticket to carry these associated changes into fortress:

[Support Relax Control](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FC-291)

What may be interesting here is that I didn't find this control as an existing
API support, per:

http://directory.apache.org/api/user-guide/6.7-control.html#managedsait

So, I built one.  I followed this good example:

http://directory.apache.org/api/internal-design-guide/13-controls.html

The code’s in a branch:

[RelaxControl
(interface)](https://github.com/apache/directory-fortress-core/blob/relax/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/fortress/core/ldap/RelaxControl.java)

[RelaxControlImpl]
(https://github.com/apache/directory-fortress-core/blob/relax/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/fortress/core/ldap/RelaxControlImpl.java)

[RelaxControlDecorator]
(https://github.com/apache/directory-fortress-core/blob/relax/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/fortress/core/ldap/RelaxControlDecorator.java)

I’m fine with maintaining this as part of the fortress core but thought it
might useful as part of the API.

Let me know if this should be included as part of the API codebase.

Thanks,

—
Shawn