 Subject: RE: [Apple-Crop] Pruning cuts
 To: "Arthur Harvey" <arthurhar...@yahoo.com>, "Apple-Crop discussion list"
<apple-crop@virtualorchard.com>
 Date: Tuesday, March 21, 2017, 3:31 PM

 Apical dominance has to
 do with leaves and green shoots, not wood. The cambium
 produces wood (xylem) to the interior and "bark"
 (phloem) to the exterior. The cork cambium layer, which is
 outside the phloem, produces the actual flaky and
 tree-species-distinctive outer bark on the trunk. Having
 leaves and shoots above the large pruning cut provides
 carbohydrate for the growth of the callous and eventual
 xylem and phloem around the large cut surface. Water goes up
 through the xylem and photosynthate travels down through the
 phloem. The photosynthate feeds the living tissue around the
 pruning cut, hastening healing.
 Julie
 Juliet E. Carroll, PhD
 Fruit
 IPM Coordinator, New York State Integrated Pest Management
 (IPM) Program
 Cornell University, 630 W.
 North St., Geneva, NY 14456
 315-787-2430
 (Fax -2360), j...@cornell.edu
 Cornell Cooperative Extension provides equal
 program & employment opportunity
 Diversity and inclusion are a part of Cornell
 University’s heritage

 -----Original
 Message-----