Newbie orchard question

We expanded our orchard of 500 tall spindle to a 5000 tree orchard. The
trees have been in the ground for 3 months. The new trees were planted in
an alfalfa field.  I have gotten a handle on my trellis and irrigation. The
alfalfa is out of control. Once I have removed alfalfa via contact
herbicide and mechanical removal should i apply a pre emergence herbicide
or wait to apply in the fall. What mixture of pre emergence should i use
with first year planted trees? Can you apply pre emergence while you have
irrigation running or is that unsafe for roots?

--
Doug Nelson