The grower and I would appreciate hearing from folks who have experienced
similar situation and what were the eventual effects of the early season
not-cutting hail dents.

  Thanks, Glen

  Those dents will leave a dead and pithy spot in the apple just under the
surface. Not number 1 grade.

  I'm sure no two hail storms are exactly the same. In the last 25 years we've
had early hail three times. I think it pays for farm market orchards to go
through the trees and hand thin most of the hail marks out. The remaining fruit
will be larger and higher quality. And its easier to sort bad apples out now so
you don't have an awful time at harvest. Of course if you've got 70% plus
damage, save your time - go fishing.

  I feel for you, its a real heartbreak.

  Karl