Stayton, southeast of Salem. There was a hail storm 2 miles from us last month.
Tommie

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: david kollas
  To: Apple-Crop
  Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2007 11:26 AM
  Subject: Re: Apple-Crop: Hail damage

  Tommie,

  I thought hail was not one of orcharding's perils in Oregon. In what part of
the state
  are you gambling?

  David Kollas
  Kollas Orchard
  Tolland, CT
  On Saturday, June 23, 2007, at 11:43 AM, Peter and Tommie wrote:

    Our sympathy on the damage sustained from hail. We know what it's like as
we had hail damage 3 consecutive years when the apples were about 1 1/2"
diameter. Only 3 minutes of hail and the apples looked like they had been
rolled in gravel. The marks on Ginger Golds and Grimes Golden were the most
unsightly.
    We did some thinning and found foliage had protected at least some of the
crop. The damage was usually only skin deep and I would demonstrate that to
customers. We sold the damaged apples at a reduced price.

    Tommie van de Kamp
    Oregon