We used Apogee on Fuji a couple of years ago and the thinners did not work. The chemical rep. told us not to use Apogee on fruit you want to then. It seems to negate the thinner. Now we need to thin more than we need to reduce shoot growth. Seems we couldn't have both.
Tommy Bruguiere
Dickie Bros. Orchard
Roseland, Va
To: "Apple-Crop" <apple-crop@virtualorchard.net>
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2008 7:30 PM
Subject: Apple-Crop: Apogee, chem thinner

In the 2008New England Tree Fruit Management Guide, and presumably also in the Cornell guide from which it was adapted, is a statement I had not seen before: "Do not use Apogee within 10 days of chemical thinners." No explanation is given, and I do not find the statement on Apogee (prohexadione calcium) labels. The first one or two Apogee applications are properly made at the late bloom to 4week post-bloom period when thinners must also be applied. In the past I have used Apogee without regard to chemical thinning sprays, and some applications have been made within less than 10 day intervals. I have not seen failure of Apogee to suppress shoot elongation, but chemical thinning
has sometimes surprised me, particularly in regard to overthinning.
If any of readers can provide an explanation of the 10 day interval statement, or would care to comment on any observed problems associated with your having
been unaware of (or ignored) a potential problem, I would be grateful.

David Kollas
Tolland, Connecticut

Apple-Crop is not moderated. Therefore, the statements do not represent "official" opinions and the Virtual Orchard takes no responsibility for the content.