        David Kollas
        Kollas Orchard,
        Tolland, CT

On Apr 3, 2010, at 6:56 PM, Mo Tougas wrote:

We are using a sprayer controller, and so the pressure varies block to block depending upon row spacing, speed, tree height, etc. That is of course where the challenge lies, finding nozzles that will deliver over a range of pressures to meet the mix of training systems we have. So the range is 75 psi to 200 psi. To my dismay, we spray at 50 or 100 gpa, depending on what material we are spraying. We'd like to be doing a better job of using TRV, but when we add the complications of guessing the intents of some of the label rates, together with our mishmash of plantings, we're settling in at rate per acre, regardless of the "acre". Someday we will have the technology to "read" the tree's canopy in terms of density, and we'll do a better job.

Mo Tougas
On Apr 3, 2010, at 10:43 AM, Jill Kelly wrote:

I have about 1/3 24' rows. 1/3 18' rows and the last 1/3 are 15' rows. What pressure and GPA do you operate at Mo?

Thanks, Art
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mo Tougas" <m...@tougasfarm.com>
To: "Apple-Crop" <apple-crop@virtualorchard.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2010 6:37 AM
Subject: Re: Apple-Crop: AI nozzles for airblast sprayers

Hi Art

We've been using the Albuz and spraying systems AI nozzles for several seasons now. We'd been using them for herbicides and for spraying strawberries for years and were quite satisfied. Two years ago we started using them in airblast sprayers. We've found that they are a bit limited there. The droplets are heavy, and we feel that 16' row spacing is about as far as we can go and get uniform overage. Past that, and pattern has not been satisfactory. I'd suggest caution. Use a couple in the top positions on your sprayer, and be sure to use water sensitive paper in your trees to be sure you are happy.

Mo Tougas
Tougas Family Farm,LLC
Northborough, MA