Hi folks,

On the apple trees I planted last year, I noticed the tell-tale white coating
mostly on last season's newer shoots.  So I looked it up and low and behold
they have powdery mildew.  The coating is not as thick as the worst picture I
saw on the web, but the coverage area is a lot, i.e. it is worse than just
splotchy.

Of course I aim to eradicate the problem on those trees but also don't want it
to spread to this years planting.

Yesterday I pruned off and discarded as much of the infected wood as I could.
I plan to hunt down some Serenade today.  The trees don't have any leaves yet
and the recent planting only has leaf clusters on the variety that "woke up" in
the nursery.

I'm anxious to start spraying as soon as possible, so my question is:  Is it
good to start spraying now when all there is to spray at this point is wood?

Thanks,
Rye Hefley
Future Farmers Marketer
So. Cal.