I tend to agree the term 'cover' is becoming archaic in regards to modern fruit
growing -

I did look thru some historical references I have handy and in the 1936
Michigan spray calendar the 'first cover' is applied 10 days after petal-fall,
with the 'second cover' applied 10 days after the first cover - 'third cover'
is then two weeks after that, and 'fourth cover' two weeks after third - the
calendar then refers to a 'summer generation' spray, "exact time to be
determined each year, usually about Aug 1" with the possibility of one or two
more sprays after that "at two week intervals"

the 1945 'Spraying Program' extension bulletin from Ohio State breaks the
sprays down into 5 periods - Dormant, Pre-Bloom, Calyx Cup, First Cover, and
Second Brood or Fourth Cover - under the 'First Cover' period the program lists
the first cover spray as 'ten days after petal fall', second cover as 'three
weeks after petal fall' and 'third cover' as two weeks after second cover with
a note "Watch spray service recommendations for need of an additional cover
spray against the first brood of codling moth"

if should be noted that backbone materials of these programs were sulfer and
lead arsenate - anymore I believe the spraying frequency is more decided by
monitoring and complicated by such concepts as Alternate Row Center spraying
and such -

David Doud
grower, IN