From: Fleming, William <w...@montana.edu>
Subject: Re: [apple-crop] Hornets and Honey Crisp
To: "Apple-crop discussion list" <apple-crop@virtualorchard.net>
Date: Sunday, September 4, 2011, 11:20 AM

I’m not an entomologist and can’t speak for all wasps but can tell you my
experiences.
1)       Sounds like you have bald faced hornets. They usually aren’t very
aggressive unless you get very close to their nest then watch out, they can be
very nasty. Their nests are a hazard to workers and should be removed from
trees. Just spray some aerosol wasp and hornet killer up though the hole in the
bottom of their nest at night when they’re all home, no need to spray the
entire orchard or remove nests outside of the orchard.
2)       I don’t know of any wasp or hornet that will make holes in fruit to
feed. They feed from a hole made by birds or other insects.
3)       Most wasps are carnivores that feed on other insects for most of their
life and are one of the best beneficial insects around. Leave them alone. It’s
only in the later part of the summer that they feed on sugars in order to
prepare for the overwintering generation.
Due a unusually cold, wet spring in my parts we had a very poor wasp season. It
also has been one of the most damaging aphid years I have ever seen. I
personally believe the two are directly related.

Bill Fleming
Montana State University
Western Ag Research Center
Corvallis, Montana