I used them this year on bench grafts. Performed as expected for all
the reasons you mention, and my gut feeling is they helped growth. I
think they promote bud breakage in various places, so you have to
watch new shoot growth from rootstock and/or below where you want the
leader to develop and remove those. Make sure you follow directions:

http://growtube.com/

Jon

2011/11/21 Balsillie <dbals...@mnsi.net>:
> Has anyone planted either sleeping eye trees with grow tubes? Grape growers
> in my neighbourhood use a clearish, blue wrap-tube (that looks like a kid’s
> Magic snow carpet) wrapped around the vine for the first year. Their new
> grapevines grow more quickly, and the high temperatures inside the tube
> prevent powdery mildew. Also they can safely spray herbicides.  They say it
> gets upward of 40C inside the tubes.
>

> Any experience with these for apples? I’m tempted to plant in situ and see
> if these give them a head start.  Just thinking about how to keep scab away,
> although it doesn’t like really hot temperatures either.
>

> Doug
>

> Doug and Leslie Balsillie
>
> 793E County Road 50, R. R. 1
>
> Harrow, Ontario