Especially for Jon Clements, but others as well:

Are your initial Honeycrisp/Bud 9 Tall Spindle trials, where you cropped
starting in 2nd leaf, agreeing with Mike's experience?  Looking at these
trials subsequently, what happened to production?  I have a 1,000 tree
Honeycrisp/Bud 9 Tall Spindle planting planned for 2015 and this discussion
has taken a very interesting turn.

I noticed this year that with my 2nd leaf Snowsweet Tall Spindle on Bud 9,
the trees that were fully cropped hardly grew (but produced huge fruit);
however, the trees that had no fruit (spotty pollination in southern Maine
with nearly continuous rain during bloom) also grew very little.  Not one
Snowsweet is even close to the top wire, located ~8.5'.   We did have four
periods of drought-induced stress this year, and the Bud 9 varieties were
clearly the most checked.  I will have Uniram drip with fertigation for all
trees starting in 2014, and I anticipate that this will help ameliorate.

Steven Bibula

Plowshares Community Farm

236 Sebago Lake Road

Gorham ME 04038