This past season I had continued re-infestation of potato leafhopper in
young unbudded apple rootstock nursery. Calypso provided control, but only
until the next population floated in on air currents, presumably from somewhere
far south of here (Connecticut).  My question is: Are these migrant populations
subject to resistance development in the same way that local resident insect
populations are?
        Evidently they are not resistant when they arrive, but to remain within
label limits of product per season, other neonicotinoid products might be used
to provide continued control.  Is anyone aware of resistance having developed
in this pest to neonicotinoids or other pesticides where the pest does not
survive to pass on its resistance to the next generation?
        Does potato leafhopper migrate within, say, New England states, or
within other Northern apple-growing regions during a growing season?  If so,
resistance might become a problem regardless of the pest's overwintering
ability.

David Kollas
Kollas Orchard, CT