So - help me understand the differences in ethylene physiology in different
apples - I am familiar with textbook graphs and the climateric respiration
pattern that is a generalized explanation for maturity/senescence in apples,
but there are apples that don't seem to fit that pattern, specifically GoldRush
and HoneyCrisp, where ethylene production/concentrations do not seem to spike,
but seem to 'peak' at a low level of 1-5ppm rather than spiking to 10's to
100's of parts per million -

GoldRush and HoneyCrisp are also associated with maintaining firm, crisp flesh
quality over a long storage life (at least the fraction of HC that don't bitter
pit or soft rot or decline from any of the several other maladies to which it
is subject) - is the low ethylene synthesis the explanation for this? If
HoneyCrisp is exposed to high concentrations of ethylene does it then soften
and age like a 'normal' apple? Or is there something else going on?

MCP binds to ethylene receptor sites and so prevents ethylene from having its
normal effect on respiration and maturation - does the treated fruit still
exhibit the climateric peak in ethylene generation? But the ethylene is unable
then to have its effect because of the blocked sites? From what I have
gathered, MCP is applied at some point after significant ethylene production
has initiated, but likely before production has peaked.

Thanks for any input, feel free to correct any misconceptions on my part, I
won't take anything personally -

David Doud
grower, Indiana
-15F last week